02 July 2011

We're failing our most vulnerable

I found this article, We're Failing Our Most Vulnerable in the National Post today.  I felt it took a different spin compared to my blog post on Failing our Children.

While I agree with her last statement in this case:
The people and agencies who failed the youngsters have learned bugger all. Why are they still charged with protecting children when the guy in the trailer or apartment next door is better at it?
I do disagree that the fault is primarily the government, ministers and workers.  I do believe more responsibility falls on the families, if not the parents, than the uncles, aunts, grandparents, who usually when their sibling or child succumbs to addiction and can't raise the child rarely does anyone step up to the plate.

Nonetheless, it is an interesting read.