26 August 2010

Book Recommendation: Playing With Fire


I don't think I have done a plug for this book, Playing With Fire by Theo Fleury.  I must recommend it, of course it must come with a little warning.  Theo Fleury is very blunt in writing and explaining his story.  He lets emotions go loose, which lets you feel how he felt.

I did get to meet Theo at a book signing in Saskatoon.  It was well worth the 2.5 hour wait to say to him: "Thanks for writing this book for my clients."  Since at the time I was a Counsellor at a Sexual Assault Centre, and I was trying to let my male clients know that they were not alone.  It is a must read to understand the effect abuse, especially sexual abuse, has on ones life.



If you don't have time to read, I do recommend you watch the Fifth Estate episode by CBC called The Fall and Rise of Theo Fleury.